I don’t know about you but one of the first things I do when I go to a business’s website is click on the About Us or Our Story tab. I’m always interested in learning about the people who started the company, the people running the company and how the company even came about.
In an online search I found that many marketing experts consider the About Us page to be the most important page on a website. Consumers like to feel that the people they are doing business with are reputable business people. The About Us page is often a page that businesses have trouble optimizing.
Your About Us page is your brand, your story, what makes your business so unique? Why should people do business with you? What do you have to offer?
Your About Us page should be written in a conversational tone and include:
- The story behind how your business was started.
- The services and/or products you provide.
- How you benefit the customer.
- A call to action such as entering their email for a newsletter or leaving your phone number for them to call you.
Use your About Us page in your marketing, in your branding, on social media – update it and post bits and pieces of it throughout social media. Write a blog post or newsletter article about your About Us page. You really can use it as a marketing tool to create customer awareness and attract new business.
If you need help writing your About Us page consider hiring a copywriter or content marketer to help you. They know what they are doing and can take your thoughts and turn them into a lead generating piece of copy!
Need a more in-depth idea of what your brand should look like? Ask yourself the following questions.
- What do you sell?
- What are you really selling? For example – you may think you sell financial planning but really you are selling peace of mind.
- What is your target market? Is this market small enough – would you be better served to narrow your focus and go after a niche market?
- What are the characteristics of your target market?
- What are the characteristics of your company?
- What would your company look like if it were a person?
- What would your company act like if it were a person?
- What makes your company unique?
- What need does your company fulfill? Or what problem does your company solve?
- How do you want your target market to see your company?
Write down the answers to the questions above and start formulating your true brand. The brand that is going to attract customers and the brand that is going to move you toward success!
Your brand is the mark you want to leave on the world.