Time management is a beast for many. There just never seem to be enough hours in the day but I recently read a book that opened my eyes to the way people tend to look at time. Find your extraordinary, by Jessica Herrin, is an excellent book for those of you who want to dream bigger, live happier and achieve success on your own terms! I’ve read it twice now – it’s a great read!
One of my favorite chapters is the one on time.
• Manage yourself, not time. You are in charge of you and you along with everyone else in this world gets 24 hours per day and 7 days per week.
So many people say, “I’m just so busy I don’t have time for that.” When in fact what they mean is, they don’t choose to do it. If you really want something, you’ll make the time. If you want to exercise, you’ll get up a half an hour earlier. If you really want to start that business you’ve been dreaming of you’ll make the time to do it. Decide what is important to you and what is not. Would you rather be creating that dream business or spending hours a day playing games on Facebook? Would you rather be out building a garden or inside watching reality television? The choice is yours!
• You must value your time to have it yield value. To create value you must do high-value activities. If you want to earn a lot per hour, you must do the things that will yield you a lot per hour. If you are doing a task that is worth $12 per hour in the free market, then you are paying yourself $12 per hour to do that task. If you want to earn more than you must do something of higher value. Consider all the tasks that you do in a day. Would it be beneficial to you to outsource some of those tasks so that it will free up time for you to do the higher paying tasks? This is why virtual assistants are great. They free up time doing the less per hour tasks why you spend your time doing higher paying tasks thus yielding you more per hour. You want to make sure you work with someone highly trained to be a virtual assistant and that you don’t waste time managing them. Hire a self-motivated, go-getter and you’ll be amazed at how much better your life and career will be.
• Talk to yourself about time. To determine if you are using your time wisely, ask yourself these questions:
• What is my long-term goal? What will matter to me in the future? (One year from now, three years from now, etc.)
• Am I spending my time (this week or this month) on the most impactful activities?
• Is my energy in the right place in order to be effective?
Ask yourself these questions monthly. Once you determine where to best spend your time, eliminate the trivial activities and understand your limits. Where are your priorities? Stick to those to live a happy life. If your children are important to you make sure you spend time with them. If you have a spouse or partner spend time on that relationship and most importantly don’t forget about yourself. You need to take care of you, because if you don’t – nothing else works.
Now take a few minutes today and think about how you spend your time. Are you spending it wisely? Are there some changes you can make to increase your happiness, your success and your wellness? Don’t wait! Start mastering your time today!